A New Era Of Style

  • Subscribe
  • Converted prices are for reference only - all orders are charged in £ Pounds Sterling GBP.
  • Cart (0)

Earth Day

We are giving you just the facts this Earth Day.

We are celebrating Earth Day (our favourite day of the year), and we wanted to put together some information that has come our way in the last year of digging into sustainability for Rêve En Vert. Here are just a few facts that show us what is going on with the current states of our land, water and air.

WATER

• There has been a 1% annual rise in water consumption in the UK for the last 30 years.
• It takes 140 litres of water to produce just one cup of coffee.
• Only 2.5% of the water on this earth is drinkable.
• One truck’s-worth of plastic is dumped into the sea every minute. Some say that by 2050, there will be more plastic than fish in the sea.
• 15,500 litres of water are required for one kilo of meat. Maybe it’s time to reconsider going a bit more vegetarian?
• 55% (Asia) – 67% (USA) of the fish caught close to the coast contain human-derived debris.
• 1 in 10 people on this planet lack access to safe water.

LAND

• Landfill poses a treat to local ground water supplies because rain drains through the rubbish takes chemicals with it into the ground. This water can be 200 times as toxic as sewage.
• At least 50% of the clothes we throw away are recyclable.
• 2.5 billion pounds of clothes end up on landfills every year.
• Every minute an equivalent of 48 football fields of forest is cut down.
• Trees have the ability to filter carbon dioxide out of the air. It is estimated that 15% of all greenhouse gas emissions are the result of deforestation.
• Just a few animal species that are in danger of getting extinct because of deforestation: pandas, tigers, orang-utans, mountain gorillas and spider monkeys (all too cute to lose). 
• Plastic takes about 450 years to decompose.
• Only about 0.1 percent of pesticides used in agriculture actually targets the pest. The other 99.9 percent just harms the environment by pollution the soil and air and getting animals sick or killed. Definitely shop organic when possible. 

AIR

• 2015 was the warmest year recorded in history, but 2016 is already well on its way to steal that title.
• The way global warming is heading now, a lot of the worlds great cities will be lost to the sea. If we cut down emissions now we might be able to adapt before we get to that point.
• Breathing in the smog in Beijing on an average day is like smoking 4 cigarettes. On a bad day this can be as bad as 25 cigarettes.
• In 2016, London reached the legal limits of toxic air pollution for an entire year in two days. We all need to get some more in-door plants!
• Flying roundtrip between London and New York produces about as much carbon dioxide as an average person uses in a year. We donate to Trees for the Future to off-set our business travel!
• The apparel industry’s percentage of the world’s carbon footprint is about 5 times as big as the aviation industry’s one.

So here are our quick tips: get a bicycle; take a tote bag everywhere; start buying vintage & sustainable clothing; start buying local & seasonal produce; and take fast showers.